Can't figure out why S3D is doing this.

Can’t figure out why S3D is doing this. Was trying to print something that has a spider web. S3D insists on putting down all of these dots at the junction points of the web. Loaded up Cura and let it give it a shot, and it printed 1st layer as you’d expect by laying down outlines of extruded part (although the start of the Cura print (pictured) was crap cause I needed to reconfig settings and was frustrated after hours of messing with S3D and even revisiting model to make sure it wasn’t the cause.).

I think I’ve seen this before with S3D putting little dots down even though the model should be flat. I even performed the ‘place surface on bed’ not knowing if that’d make a difference (nope).

Anyone come across this and solve it?

if lines are thin - the connection points are the ones with a bigger diameter … try to scale this 150% and check if the slicer is still giving you dots.

@Ulrich_Baer , FWIW lines are 1.5mm wide…thx.

It appears to me like it’s trying to print the inner perimeters first. Since the model is only as thick as the outer perimeters everywhere else you’re left with small dots at the junctions where you have more material. Did your printer raise in Z after it printed those dots or are they on the same layer?

@Adam_Steinmark , I have it set to print inner 1st and it was hard to tell but I was specifically watching to see if it did raise when it started laying the lines cause I wondered the same. I don’t think it did cause the lines were smashed like a 1st layer should be and stepping through the layer print preview in S3D showed the 1st layer had the whole web. That’s when I gave up and installed Cura.

Well it would be very easy to check the gcode and see if it’s all on the same layer. If you just don’t want those points which it seems Cura is either ignoring or using dynamic extrusion to fill it there, just modify your S3D settings to print only a single perimeter with no infill and 0 top and bottom thickness. You could also just edit out those lines in the gcode.

Well it would be very easy to check the gcode and see if it’s all on the same layer. If you just don’t want those points which it seems Cura is either ignoring or using dynamic extrusion to fill it there, just modify your S3D settings to print only a single perimeter with no infill and 0 top and bottom thickness. You could also just edit out those lines in the gcode.

I had tried zero infill (still did it) and just flipped through the gcode, and it all looks like same layer. I’ll try messing with other settings later to see if it makes a difference.

Your bottom/top thickness value is overriding your infill value since this is the first/only layer. You need to modify all 4 settings, perimeters, top thickness, bottom thickness, and infill to notice a difference.

ugh, ok, I get it. Will mess around with it later. Seems like it will jam me up cause I want to have a solid bottom layer but now am curious.

If you still have issues, any chance you can post or link to the model file?

Tell it to print perimeters outside to inside. It should fix it for this print. I actually print outside to inside often if I need to hold dimensions for mating parts.

@Eclsnowman , I had tried the outside to in earlier as I worked through a bunch of settings and nothing worked. The preview pic shows what S3D kept doing. But I was eventually able to solve this by creating a process for layer 1 using vase mode and then reverting to my regular print process after that.
missing/deleted image from Google+

Here’s the pic using vase mode with most of layer 1 done. No filler dots and will save quite a bit of time.
missing/deleted image from Google+

I’d still say the problem is printing perimeters inside to out, as described by +Eric Lien. Your own screenshot shows that the innermost “perimeter” is a very small polygon which could well come out as a “dot”, depending on the overall size of the model. Setting S3D to print perimeters outside to in would print the web lines themselves first, leaving that polygon to sit inside the previously printed areas.

Vase mode “works” because it prints only the outermost perimeter(s), so is effectively doing the same thing as setting S3D to print outside to in, without filling the gap between.

@Jon_Gritton The pattern is actually thicker than I thought so all he actually needs to do is set the perimeters from 3 to 1 so it’ll slice for infill there like it would for vase mode.

I had worked through a bunch of settings yesterday and the outside to in didn’t matter. What made the difference was either 1 shell or vase mode (essentially the same no?). I tried vase mode cause I assumed it would do a continuous trace for the web but it still did it in sections.

Are you permitted to post the model file? I can try some things. Knock-on results of some settings are non-obvious.