Can't control P1.23

Hi Everyone

I need to control the last big mosfet Q5, but it won’t turn on.

In trouble shooting I’ve tried hooking my scope to the 1.23 breakout pin and set it as a servo output for BLtouch, but it does nothing when I issue M280 s3.0. Doing the same with 3.25 works as I expect.

I’m using the latest build, with Smoothieboard 5x from Uberclock.

any other ideas for troubleshooting?

Imported from wikidot

can you try controlling the pin as a digital output with switch ? ie http://smoothieware.org/switch#fan

Thanks for the reply, I’ll test it tomorrow and report.

Thanks,
Anthony

Set it up as suggested but still no response on the pin.

Can you try formatting the SD card and if you can try another SD card ?

Update on this post. I think it’s a hardware fault.

Another problem I’ve been having is starting a print from the reprap LCD, the heaters come on, then when it gets to the required temp, the board shuts down, turns both heaters off and doesn’t respond. I reset the board, start the print again, wait 2-3 mins for it to warm up and it might actually start, might not. I don’t think it’s a gcode problem because I don’t change the code between tries.

The frustration from the bad documentation and lack of support has really put me off chasing this further, this board is going in the junk bin, I’ll get a duet instead.

The problem you are having with the temperature control is very likely a runaway problem, which is extensively covered in the documentation. So the problem ( likely ) isn’t really hardware, it’s just lack of reading the documentation. ( as you don’t like to read the documentation, it says : connect to the board with pronterface, and see what error is displayed in it’s terminal when the problem occurs ).
About P1.23, you can’t complain about lack of documentation when this is a problem that’s never occurred before, and you can’t complain about lack of support when you haven’t tried what you were asked to try 5 days ago ( and you definitely have been getting support ).

Please don’t blame the project for things it’s doing right.

If you think this is less likely to happen with a Duet ( which has by far inferior documentation and support ), I’m just going to sit here and laugh. You are welcome to try.

Your Smoothieboard whispers from the trash bin : "… problem between chair and keyboooooooaaaard … ".

If you still want help, you’ll be getting, it, but don’t vent your frustration on the smoothie project when it’s blameless here. It’s very disrespectful to the people who create it and the people who try to help you, for free.

It took publicly shaming you into replying to my post in the first place, so yes, I think your support is lacking.
P1.23 never happened before, that is just a lie, you’ve been giving support (oh my) to someone else on the forum at the same time with the same problem.
I have read the documentation, over and over again,
now I don’t bother because it is a mess.
You know I’m not the only person to tell you this.
Like I said in the last post, when it stops, it doesn’t respond, the terminal shows nothing.
I hope other people see this post,
and others posts like it before they buy your board, because when I buy YOUR board, not MKS, that support is NOT free, it cost $199AUD.
Good attitude you have to paying customers.
For anyone else reading this, if you want to run smoothie, get an MKS board, but probably best just to avoid smoothie completely.

It took publicly shaming you into replying to my post in the first place, so yes, I think your support is lacking.

I have no idea how you could think that I answer the vast majority of posts here, as a volunteer ( meaning : giving you my time as a present ), and I have answered yours as well.
I’m sorry if this is going to sound mean, but you should maybe think about whether you might or might not be extremely entitled.

Also, “your support is lacking” isn’t an absolute, it’s generally viewed *compared to other projects/potential providers of support*, and in those terms, Smoothie is *by very very far* the best project at providing both support and documentation. Not being perfect isn’t the same as “lacking”.

P1.23 never happened before, that is just a lie, you’ve been giving support (oh my) to someone else on the forum at the same time with the same problem.

• « That never happened before»
  • « It is happening to somebody else right now »
  • « Well let us sit down together while I take 15 minutes to explain to you the difference between “right now” and “before” »

It hasn’t happened before ( in years ), the fact that it’s happening to somebody else *right now* doesn’t change any of that.

I have read the documentation, over and over again,

There is a difference between flying over something or actually paying attention to it. If you had paid attention to it, you would realize your problem is actually addressed in it.
I just talked a few days ago to somebody about a different problem, but they mentioned having the same problem you have and having fixed it themselves by reading the documentation. What’s the difference between you and them?

now I don’t bother because it is a mess.

It most definitely isn’t. Again it’s certainly not perfect, that’d be a stupid requirement, but it’s by far the best around. And we put work into it *every day* for years.

You know I’m not the only person to tell you this.

The ratio of people telling what you are saying, to people saying the opposite, is *at least* 1-to-30. But I guess we can’t have a crowd of users as diverse as we do, without getting a few people with the kind of personality you have in the mix. It’s not fun but we are slowly learning to deal with it.

Like I said in the last post, when it stops, it doesn’t respond, the terminal shows nothing.

If we were having a normal support conversation, I’d be asking you for a video right now. You are definitely not nice enough for me to keep giving you my free time though.

I hope other people see this post,

I hope too.

and others posts like it before they buy your board, because when I buy YOUR board, not MKS, that support is NOT free, it cost $199AUD.

You are an idiot.
Please read http://smoothieware.org/troubleshooting#i-m-very-upset-at-something-everyone-is-mean-and-nobody-listens-to-me
We wrote it for the few users each year ( out of tens of thousands ) who have their head so far up their ass they have completely forgotten what is due to them and what isn’t.

Good attitude you have to paying customers.

You are talking to a volunteer, not a seller. You *did not* buy Smoothie firmware. If you contact me through my shop, *about your hardware*, I’ll be perfectly professional to you, because I’ll be the seller in that context. As a volunteer though, helping you on free software you didn’t pay for, I definitely don’t have to take your shit.

For anyone else reading this, if you want to run smoothie, get an MKS board, but probably best just to avoid smoothie completely.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JEcIxRvH6L158aHFcFJtFToKWCGPPMwlF1e7OzqG57g/edit#
And that’s just two months a few years ago before I got tired and stopped.

Let me hammer that nail a bit more : this just happened on IRC out of the blue, as it happens so often :
<programmerq> the docs on smoothieware.org are pretty fantastic. Definitely glad I got the genuine smoothie instead of the MKS SBASE

Just a quick follow up;

I’ve had the printer running on a Duet wifi for a couple of weeks now.

I’ve done about 20 prints now using the Duet and had one failed print (due to my own fault), compared to the smoothie where it seemed each second would fail.

Now with the Duet i don’t have to:
-Restart after inserting sd card
-put up with random hangs
-use a terrible web interface
-clear the browser cache to access said web interface

• put up with slow uploads

but with the duet I do have to enjoy
-excellent bed levelling

• the use of macros to control basic things
    -use an extremely useful web interface
  • upload 10MB files in seconds
    -have access to the onboard expansion port (why is the smoothie hardware layed out so badly?)
  • have a panel that actually works

In my opinion the Duet is so far ahead of Smoothie in every possible way.

So in conclusion, when Arthur says "Your Smoothieboard whispers from the trash bin : "… problem between chair and keyboooooooaaaard … ". I think he was right in a way, I was stupid to support his product, I should have done more research.

Glad you found a board that works for you. Your criticism of Smoothie ( besides the few spec-based differences ) is utter bullshit, we definitely wouldn’t be receiving this much praise ( including from folks who have both boards ) if you were correct.

Once in a while, we get a user who doesnt read documentation, gets frustrated at a problem that wouldn’t have occured if they had, and blames the board or project. It’s rare but it happens. Glad I won’t have to deal with you anymore.

Just a quick follow up;

Two years on and the Duet is still working every time I fire it up, haven’t had to do anything to it in that time. Such a change from the debacle of the smoothie board.

That’s it,
bye for now.

Yeah that’s nice and everything, but it doesn’t change anything to the answers I’ve already given to your remarks.

Your criticisms would be more impactful if you actually addressed when your criticisms are answered and shown invalid or unreasonable.