Can you ever print overhangs without supports?

I’m using an Ultimaker 2+ (not sure if that makes a difference).

This is one example of a thing I’d like to print. Little rubber feet will go inside those cylinders (red) and the cylinders will go into the cavity in the bottom of the base (blue). I’m wondering how it will print since the carved out circle doesn’t have anything supporting it. I could print it upside down and it would be fine but then It’d need supports on the other side because that orange ring is just another empty cylinder.

The cavities themselves are only 1mm so it’s a small gap and I am guessing maybe I might be able to get away with it for something like this but I’m more asking about how this is usually done. Thanks!

*fyi, I was planning on printing the little red cylinders off to the side and then glueing them into the cavities since I think it would be a disaster if I tried printing everything all at once.

Those are bridges (supported on both sides) rather than overhangs (appearing cantilevered) in the jargon I learned, and 1mm should be fine.

Note that dimensions on 3d prints are not exact and you are unlikely to fit a part dimensioned at 1mm into a slot dimentioned at 1mm.

You may wish to skip printing the small parts shown in red, and instead bridge over indentations to hold the feet. That is, instead of a 1mm gap, just subtract a 1mm deep filled cylindrical hole from the base. If that’s about a 15mm bridge, you’re probably fine. A test print will tell you, and slicers should have controls to help with bridging.

2 Likes

That is pure awesome sauce my friend. Thanks again. I look forward to sharing this thing with this forum when I get it done. It should at least be a little cool.

I’m just going to do a test print then and see how it all goes. I can make it a tad wider if I have to.

1 Like

If you have problems bridging over those little rings, you could always adjust the top of them to including an addition little V groove. Turning a flat top to an inverted V top would removing any bridging. I doubt it matters much if you have to add a little additional void by the rings.

2 Likes