been reading about the project escher and was wondering if this is something we

been reading about the project escher and was wondering if this is something we can build without investing in $$$ any kind of subscription fee? I’m talking specifically on the software side. Not trying to be cheap here but just want to explore build one
https://github.com/Autodesk/machine-collaboration-utility

Aren’t you linking to the free open source code to do it? Or are you talking about the multi-bot slicing toolchain?

I guess I’m thinking about the slicing platform. the typical would be to use slic3r, cura or s3d. but none of them can do what escher does.

I also read that you can put MCU into raspberry pi and then the direction leads to Netfabb which ofcourse isn’t free.

So It appear there is no way to dip my toe into this escher thing without significant $$$ investment. Unless I’m wrong… anyone?

Well you can always get Netfabb basic for free and see if it has all the necessary features. It looks like what they’re doing is setting up each machine independently, having the computer split an STL into overlapping parts for the best adhesion, and sending it out to each individual printer. The only difficult part is making sure the tool heads have proper clearance at all times, which may have to be done at the slicer level. Although you may be able to create a post processing script that reads all gcode files for a print and checks for clearance and if it finds an issue it could reorganize the gcode for that layer until it finds a non-intersecting toolpath.

@Adam_Steinmark the RasPi software (“conductor”) is what prevents tool collisions. It’s sending gcode to all the bots in realtime to keep them coordinated. If you just do separate
Gcode playback, acceleration will rapidly throw off the predicted position. Even if you have the slicer completely simulate acceleration through the whole print (which is possible) then MCU clock drift will still slowly throw them out of sync.

@Step_Cia Autodesk was looking for beta testers to build Escher machines a while back. I personally haven’t had time.

I couldn’t find very much information anywhere about what this MCU does. The GitHub description and readme has all of two vague sentences.

Running two heads is free with Netfabb… once you bump to 3 heads, you incur the monthly fee. Since we are working with them, I got one development copy… it’s pretty cool, you can add as many printer gantries as you like. Calibration is easy but with so many moving parts, you really have to have rigid and predictable hardware!

We should be making weekly progress and will be happy to answer questions. I am doing the desktop version I showed, so we sort of stand alone in a niche for this type of machine… I really want people to get their hands on this so a two gantry machine makes sense.

Brook

Brook would love to see your printrbot in escher mode on one of your live youtube stream.

It will be a couple weeks. Redesign in process.
But, yes!
Brook

@Jeff_DeMaagd it’s basically the host controller for all the bots within the Escher printer. Like if Repetier Host could run two print heads in the same build volume. Streams gcode commands but to multiple at once, with collision prevention.

I’m trying to imagine what multiple gantries would even look like; two carriages on the same Y rails but with separate pairs of X/Y drive systems?

XZ on separate gantries, all share the y rail. I guess you can call it yz sharing an x too :wink:

@Tim_Visible there are several videos on YouTube that show them in operation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgIGyPKhasg

Wow, that is nuts. :stuck_out_tongue: