Bed made from aluminum window screen

I have some products that have very small pieces that sometimes fall through or get jammed in the honeycomb bed. I was thinking of using some aluminum window screen over top of the honeycomb to prevent small pieces from falling through. My question is will the aluminum screening stand up to repeated passes with the laser beam?

Hmmm my best guess is probably yes. At the normal power levels we deal with Aluminium should hold up fine. Easy enough to determine. What are you cutting?

1 Like

Aluminum oxide melts at 3,762°F/2,072°C and aluminum melts at 1,221°F/660.3°C. The alloy of the screen could have a lower temperature. It is hard to tell. Shiny stuff is harder to lase because the laser bounces off. Maybe you can try to make it shiny without removing oxide layers. They have silver colored aluminum window screen.
That is all I can tell you. I hope it helps. I never did get a laser cutter.

1 Like

https://www.darbywiremesh.com/aluminum-mesh/
“Aluminum wire mesh is also corrosion resistant in most normal environments but will corrode quickly in the presence of alkaline solutions and hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acids. With an estimated melting point of 1218°F , aluminum has many benefits, including a relatively low cost compared to other meshes.”

1 Like

Was just walking the dog and found this fire place screen curbside that a neighbor was getting rid of. First thing I thought of was “hey this is what @funinthefalls needs” :smiley:

2 Likes

I use window screen material on top of my normal bed for tiny parts. It has worked well for me.

3 Likes

OK, so I gave it a try and the aluminum screening is holding up well. Was a very low cost solution to the problem.

4 Likes

I have been use Window screen for a year and it is still holding up fine

5 Likes