Astronomy Tools

Has anyone used their K40 or similar cutter to make tools for astronomy? I have enjoyed the hobby/obsession of amateur astronomy for a couple decades now and just realized that there may be some instances where I can make tools or things to assist with the hobby. I saw a post on CloudyNights about making a Tri-Bahtinov mask. That is a great use. I also think that making aperture masks out of thin ply might be a good application.

I have two middle schoolers that I am currently leading through Astronomy lessons. I want to find some educational applications of the K40 with regard to the topic of astronomy as well.

3 Likes

Well, after a bunch of trial and error, I finally have a function Tri-Bahtinov mask for my SCT telescope. Below is a photo. The clear one is the final draft and th black one is the finished mask. Text was put there only for my own personal edification. No one else will care.

4 Likes

Hello Dustin.
I also made some Bahtinov masks.
I only have a 5inch reflector.
I used
https://astrojargon.net/
To generate the SVG for loading into light burn.

I also used it to make a solar filter, it did struggle to cut the filter sheet I think the reflectivness of it didn’t help might have been a bit over the top but if you got it use it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes