Aspen vessels with voids

While working on the lamp project I cut into one of the logs only to find damage from what I think were carpenter ants. Probably what killed the tree. I put the log aside for a later project that highlighted the damage.

Yesterday I finished the second of the set. To get these blanks to a state that would highlight the damage each void had to be cleaned by hand with a pick.

These vessels were finished in 10 coats of semi-gloss lacquer. I normally use satin but wanted a more glossy look on these.

The small vessel’s interior was more interesting than its exterior.

While cleaning the voids small living larvae emerged from a void and scared the cr#p out of me.






5 Likes