As always remote control cars/boats seem like they're a perfect fit for the 3D

As always remote control cars/boats seem like they’re a perfect fit for the 3D printing world. Airplanes have a little bit to go, as they’re a bit interesting to try and get scaffolding working with our slicers.

Originally shared by HACKADAY

Tear up the lake with this 3D printed race boat.

If we’ve learned anything, it’s that 3D printers are exceptionally well suited to printing little boats. According to the Internet, 3D printers are at their best when pumping out cute PLA boats in all the colors of the rainbow; perfect for collecting dust…
http://hackaday.com/2018/10/10/3d-printed-catamaran-eats-benchys-lunch/

That’s a cool build, with a lot of thought put into it.

Ok so what’s missing for airplanes? It seems like you should know about 3d LabPrint, I wonder what’s insufficient in their designs?

@Jeff_DeMaagd have you seen how they have to be done? The models aren’t hollow. They are solid, with hollow scaffolding. You’ve actually gotta set your slicer in such a way that it prints the pieces ‘hollow’ with the scaffolding as the edges. It’s a dirty hack in order to get that kind of thing working.

I thought it was a rather clever hack that takes understanding of how a slicer operates and exploits that understanding to get the desired finished structure. I thought the slicer configuration was relatively straightforward. ¯(°_°)/¯