Are these any good?

Are these any good?
At some point I’ll probably replace my steppers with closed loop servo designs.
These seem to be drop-in replacements.

I could probably make ALARM an E-Stop.

They work ok.

They are on ebay too for best offer. Might save yourself some money,

@John_Scherer
Ebay in what country? I haven’t seen them on http://ebay.de yet.

Why not try mine? :slight_smile:

@Marcus_Wolschon USA for me…

@Citrus_CNC just backed for a machine builder pack, and a set of servos for that too :slight_smile:

@Michael_Andresen
I had a look but since I use 48V for my motors, that board is not an option for me. Good to see more and more servo drives coming up as quadcopters made brushless motors super cheap and readily available. I have seen brushless as spindles a few times now.

@Marcus_Wolschon I am running 24V, so it is perfect for me. :slight_smile:

@Michael_Andresen
Thank you! You’ll not be dissapointed.

@Marcus_Wolschon
Yeah, I know several people that are interested in higher voltage servo drives. The problem is the DRV8701, it is the only suitable MOSFET driver I found that doesn’t require an external ~12 V supply. I don’t need a buck converter that way, but it doesn’t support 48 V systems.

I have seen designs for closed-loop encoding stepper controllers that you can add on to existing steppers, and people have said they work pretty well. I’ve also played with DIY versions from github that use an Austrian Microsystems encoder (full disclosure: I sell these) and an arduino pro micro to add closed-loop control to cheap dc motors. The consensus from real cnc people seems to be that cheap dc motors are just too much trouble because they have high rotor inertia and high static friction, and in playing with them myself I’ve had issues trying to tune them: they’re very thrashy.

Same here, 48v. Too bad, I have been looking for a closed loop option