Are there instructions someplace to show how to install Chilipeppr on a local server?

Are there instructions someplace to show how to install Chilipeppr on a local server? I had an Internet outage a week ago when I wanted to use my CNC and it annoyed me. I’ve set up servers before, but it’s not yet clear to me what’s the environment that ChiliPeppr runs in.

One thing you could do is just always leave a browser window open to ChiliPeppr so it’s loaded and in memory. Once it’s loaded in your browser you don’t really/necessarily need the Internet.

There are 3 different offline versions floating around on the Internet from different folks. Maybe just search “chilipeppr offline”. I don’t think any of those are very well updated though, thus the core problem of offline–it’s really hard to keep all that up-to-date.

I’m also trying to understand exactly what the Chilipepper code is and what the workspace is. Is this just a set of libraries? Is it open source? While the Chilipeppr source seems to be open source it’s not clear if the environment is.

The source code is all open source. If you’re trying to wrap your arms around all the source one of the best spots is to just look at a workspace and look at the upper right corner triangle menu for each widget. That takes you to the source for that widget. Each widget is a sophisticated app on it’s own and ChiliPeppr is really just made up of a lot of apps called widgets that all talk to eachother to create the rich experience.

Not sure what you mean by the environment though?

By environment I’m referring to jsfiddle and cloud9 - I’m not asking about the IDE environment, but what runtime environment does the Chilipeppr code itself depend on? When I’m using Chilipeppr I’m not even sure who I’m dealing with. Is the code being served directly from github at runtime?

ChiliPeppr is 99% Javascript running in your browser. There’s almost nothing on the http://chilipeppr.com servers today, although there could be more available in the future like an OpenCV image recognition system or a 3d slicer system. The server, running in Google App Engine, is really just a proxy/caching layer for all the Github/JSFiddle source code.

OpenCV image stuff would be killer. That would open up a lot of things possibilities for us.