Apparently this is the new software that are selling (and bundling?) for use with

Apparently this is the new software that #MakerGear are selling (and bundling?) for use with their printers. Looks sweet!

I gotta say, that support manipulation looks pretty awesome. But at $125, it’s pretty tough to justify with just my lil Printrbot Jr.

I’m all for open source solutions, particularly because they are so readily available, and it’s (arguably?) easier to contribute back with features, suggestions and patches. But, depending on how you value your time, if you get fewer failed prints with commercial software at a price like this, it’s not long before the investment is worth it.

Here’s an update with a few questions/answers on the Simplify3D forum:
http://www.forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3

from the looks of the forum, seems like there is alot of bugs to work out. but it will be interesting if they do succeed in “continuation” of error halted prints …

I was a little disappointed with a few things. Too thin walls disappeared, tight curves were sliced into so short segments that my printer stalled (guessing the serial link was overloaded), there was no cooling logic (fan was either on or off), the controls were unintuitive and so was the work flow. I’m sure it’s decent software, and most of these issues can be fixed, and may already have been. The ability to fix broken stl files is useful if you’re printing stuff off thingiverse as well. But I’d certainly not say it’s mature software, and if I’m going to be doing work on bug analysis and reporting, it’ll be for an open source project, not something I’ve paid hundreds of dollars for!