Anyone use this on there printrbot?

Anyone use this on there printrbot?

Originally shared by John Car
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=aXVK3hB3EYc&u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DL2FxUDsdHlU%26feature%3Dshare

While TPU is a great material (especially for cell phone cases) it is flexible. Wouldn’t PETG be better as it has more rigidity.

Here is a trick with tpu, extrude 100mm and try not to let it bunch up, then try to break it with your bare hands, this stuff is strong.

But other rigid materials are strong also, abs, petg, nylon, etc… You cannot take one print made from ??? most likely pla and categorize all rigid materials saying they are all brittle, well I guess you could, but you,wouldnt be accurate. Some materials are incredibly strong, and have very practical applications. The layers in your print seems to be very pronounced, what is the layer height? That also greatly effects print strength. I bet someone could print that piece to the point you wouldnt be able to break it so easily.

Also check out ninjaflex, while a little harder to print than flexible tpu (in my experience) it is much more flexible.

is this the same as ninjaflex semi?

Minor nitpick, Ninjaflex is a type of TPU. The term TPU just means thermoplastic polyurethane, which covers almost all flexible filaments. NF was the first TPU and to my knowledge is still the softest / lowest durometer.

Doh! :slight_smile: I learned something new… Though I should have looked at the spools I purchased, they all say NinjaFlex TPU. The other stuff I was thinking of was sainsmart flexible TPU, which is more rigid and doesnt bind in the extruder as much.

just make sure your design takes into account that flex, if not, the first time you crash or hit something and the case gives just enough so that yer camera slips out of the case you’ll be flying back with no camera and a perfect shiney case :slight_smile:

@Ryan_Carlyle
So what is the difference between TPU and ninjaflex TPE, is TPE a type of TPU?

NinjaFlex is a specially formulated thermoplastic elastomer (TPE)

@PrintinAddiction
TPE: All flexible filaments. The E is for elastomer, meaning it is rubbery. Mostly polyurethanes but there are some based on other compounds.
TPU: All polyurethane filaments. Most TPUs are flexibles and thus TPEs, but Fenner/NinjaTek has recently developed what appear to be PU-based non-flexible filament, so that would be TPUs that are not TPEs.

Ninjaflex is both a TPU and a TPE.

Ok, so one acronym describes characteristic (rubbery), the other describes the chemical makeup (polyurethane), correct? But as you states Ninjaflex has a TPU that is not flexible so it is not a TPE.

Yep, that’s right. So far, all the mainstream TPUs have been rubbery, so there’s a huge amount of overlap, but it’s possible to make a TPE that is not polyurethane and it’s possible to make a TPU that is relatively hard (but durable) like nylon or PETG. Polyurethanes are actually a pretty diverse class of materials.