Anyone have recommendations on how to remove a nasty clog from a .5mm nozzle?

3d-faq
3d-qa
3d-help
gplus
(Ben Van Den Broeck) #1

Anyone have recommendations on how to remove a nasty clog from a .5mm nozzle? My normal nylon pull technique are not working as I’d like on my Bukito’s bowden setup as with my direct drive Bukos.

(Brett Giesler) #2

I had good luck with a guitar string as well. If you buy a 6 pack you can start with a smaller diameter and progress as large as you need.

(Eric Walch) #3

Heating it and using a small wire or drill bit seems to work the best, it’s how I’ve always done it.

(Carlton Dodd) #4

I’ve mounted the clogged nozzle upside down over a metal tray and hit it with a heat gun. The clog just dripped out.
This method did get a bit in the threads, so I had to clean them up.

(Whosawhatsis) #5

Don’t use a torch, you’ll scorch the plastic and it will never come out completely.

Also, don’t use a drill bit to clear it. You’ll damage the bore of the soft brass and the drill bit is likely to break off. Acupuncture needles are a better solution. They come with the diameter in millimeters printed on them (get ones at least .05mm smaller than your nozzle), they’re stiffer than most of the other options without being brittle like drill bits, and they have a nice little handle so you don’t need to use pliers to grip them. You have to buy them in a 1000 pack, but it only costs about 30 bucks, so you can give some away to every 3D printer user you meet and still have more than enough to last you forever.

(Ben Van Den Broeck) #6

Thanks @Whosa_whatsis ​!