anybody add a 2.2k motor with a vfd to a OX Cnc.

anybody add a 2.2k motor with a vfd to a OX Cnc. how good and quieter it is., any problem or upgrade to make go snooth.

A 2.2kW spindle is way too big for an ox. Too much weight, too much power. The Ox is definitely not designed to support such a spindle. I wouldn’t go more than about 800-1000w.

MG

I would agree that 2.2kw is way to big for an ox. My 700w water cooled spindle is a treat on both an ox or cbeam build

@Darrell_n thank you but my brother got me one already with out ask and now i need to figure out how to make work.

@Jestah_Carnie any upgrade to a vfd spindle, beside the bracket to hold in place …

to be really honest with you… sell it and get a smaller one.

The big one is double, maybe more, dead weight. You have to accelerate and decelerate that weight in EVERY move being a real kill joy.

If you have no choice but to keep it I would beef up the z axis as much as possible and then re-tune all of your acceleration settings>

I am a long time Mach3 user and use a serial plugin to talk to the VFD as it frees up some extra i/o on my controller as well as giving more information back to the controller from the VFD.

Why do you continue to ask for advice if you intend to ignore it? Just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you SHOULD!

Obviously you already have a spindle, unless it is broken why change it? How is that little NEMA17 motor going to lift it? How is the tiny 20x60 rail on 6 wheels going to support all that weight? How are the thin little 1/8" aluminum end plates on the axis going to support the weight?

MG

@Mike_Gallo remove z gantry wheels and change to a linear rail HG15 set up. You will still get a rock based on moment arm but not as bad. If possible trade down to an 800W.

I have a 2.2 on my Ox, but I do have 420oz nema23’s all round and 8 stainless V wheels on the Z.

@Mick_Hatton thanks for the real world feedback. If you don’t mind me asking but what sorts of cuts are you able to take before things max out.

Hi, I have nema 23 motors on all axis. i am going to add an extra 20x60 bar on the X axis and add 4 more v wheels.