Antique Knife Display Rack

My son collects knives and likes to fly fish.
This project combined a refinished antique knife and a walnut trout mount.

Wood: walnut
Knife hangers: turned walnut and hand-carved to match knife handle and blade
Knife: antique cleaned, sharpened and polished to 3000 grit.
Tools: bandsawed blank, template routed, 1/4 spiral flush up-cut bit.
Finish: sanded through 400 grit, pre-stain, tung oil

Note: the first time I have used a spiral flush bit and I will never template route any other way again.

4 Likes

Very cool! Yep template routing with a flush spiral up cut bit is so much nicer then a regular flush bit.

1 Like

This prompted me to further educate myself on the differences between upcut and downcut spiral bits and flush bit. I found this video quite thorough on the subject.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve picked up a number of good router tips from that guy. That video in particular is why I ended up trying the spiral bit that I did.

In template routing you have to be very careful to guard against tear out when routing up hill against the grain. The spiral flush bit is much less likely to grab the grain and give you tear out as compared to a straight face flush bit.

2 Likes

Heh, The same video I watched that clued me in.
I use spiral up/down bits for routing mortices and on my CNC but did not know that there was a flush-cut version.

I was on the way to get a top-bottom bearing flush cut single flute bit. With that bit, I could manage cutting direction by flipping the templated piece over.

All the bits below worked excellently.
I have purchased Yonico bits before and have been very surprised at the quality and 1/2 the price of anything else.

I bought this bit at woodcraft:
Whiteside - RFTD2100 Flush Trim Down Cut Spiral Router Bit 1/4" D X 1" CL 1/4" SH 3" OL

I also found these on amazon:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

3 Likes

Ned, not only did I not have to worry about tear out I did not have to cut the piece close to the template on my band saw as usual.

1 Like