Another set of questions not all related to each other. 1.

Another set of questions not all related to each other.

1. How important is the base the OX is on? I had to move mine temporarily to the garage and it’s sitting on a piece of plywood across two sawhorses. There are 2 layers of 5/8" MDF as the spoil board base and neither are fixed to the machine at all other than just laying on top of the supports - is this going to give me extra vibration that will cause part of my issues (I am 99.9% sure the answer is yes)?

2. How do you guys use cutting oil on a MDF spoil board? Doesn’t it just soak in and destroy that area in one cut (once it gets damp it swells)?

3. I used rubbing alcohol when I tapped the holes during construction and read that it’s a great lube/cutting oil for aluminum - but isn’t it flammable (as with WD-40, kero, etc)? If the bit gets hot enough to smoke, how do they not ignite?

4. I’d love to use some kind of auto-spray coolant but I’m worried about the spindle being exposed as it is - is the 400W spindle sealed?

5. Has anyone ever setup a non-spindle spindle that uses a regular larger motor on backside of the X gantry with a belt to the non-motorized spindle on front?

6. Is it possible to do what I described in #5 and keep accuracy without having to buy the $700 liquid cooled spindle if I want more cutting power? (Or do I just go up to a regular wood router?)

I am also very curious about questions 1,2&3. I haven’t taken the jump to aluminum yet but plan to soon I hope. I’m sure bit type and coating is also very important to proper cutting.

Anyone have a chance to think about these questions? Still curious if anyone has answers.