"An estimated 80,000 football fans wearing hats with embedded LED displays " for the

"An estimated 80,000 football fans wearing hats with embedded LED displays " for the Super Bowl halftime show. “PixMob has used its wireless lighting technology — which is controlled using infrared — at summer music festivals, corporate events and at last week’s X Games in Aspen — but Super Bowl XLVIII was its biggest project.”
http://globalnews.ca/news/1123994/people-as-pixels-at-super-bowl-halftime-show-the-work-of-canadian-company/

Yeah, my buddy who was in the stadium told me he could see the IR emitters through his camera when he turned the filtering off. He works for a local TV station.

That would mean that the infrared signal was essentially broadcast across wide areas of the stadium. Different LEDs seemed to have different behaviors, personalities, all synchronized. I wonder how they got different LEDs, some of which were very close to each other, to behave differently.

The original Cubatron,
http://www.3waylabs.com/projects/cubatron/
had LED strings unlike the ones we are familiar with. The pixel data was essentially broadcast to every LED on the string. In this design, each pixel on the string had it’s own ID number, manually burned into it, so it knew what data it should pay attention to and what data to ignore.

Maybe each LED in the stadium had it’s own ID or personality burned into it. Each LED would see the same broadcast signal and respond with it’s own kind of behavior. The LEDs with different behaviors could have been given out randomly.

Unsure. He just told me he could see the emitters flickering throughout the show. And there were several emitters that he saw all around the stadium rim.

I’d love to know the engineering details.

I’m sure everyone saw the olympic opening ceremony yesterday. These LED audience pixel art is fantastic, but starting to get old, “visually speaking”. It all looks the same, over and over again. I can’t wait to see a video feed displayed over the audience pixels! I’m sure the complexity factor goes up 10x, but what about a pre-embedded routine that uses the infrared as a master clock source. Would that work?

I vote that the pre-embedded routine that uses the infrared as a master clock source is exactly what they’re doing, at least at the Superbowl.