Am I squirting too much or too little filament?

Am I squirting too much or too little filament? This is ABS and it should be 0.1mm layer heights with a 0.4mm nozzle. The fuzzy stuff towards the top is my pants. The shiny black is the print. I am a bit rusty at fine tuning.

lol “squirting”. “Extruding” is probably the proper term. I think you’re slightly over. You’re easily water-tight here, and you’re getting some piling that’s lifting up around the nozzle edge.

The squish is not good enough on the bottom. I guess if it is not under-extruding then it is a separate issue. Under-extrusion would explain both if that was what it was. Hmmm…okay. Time to check settings. Thanks.

It looks like the filament was set for 1.75mm while it was really 1.65-1.7. This is old cheap filament, I am sure. With being undersized like it is, it is no wonder why is was cheap.

I would agree with @ThantiK . You are likely over extruding. If the first layer is not squishing with a top looking like this that would likely be a bed leveling or nozzle distance from the bed issue.

If the filament is that undersized it must be expanding a lot when it comes out of the nozzle. What is the extruded diameter? You could set the diameter to 1.78 - 1.80 in the slicer or drop the extrusion rate down about 3-5%.

E-steos from 97 to 102. Those were off too. I should not even have to change that. It should be correct when I take it out of the box.
The funny thing about these changes is they would both make it extrude more plastic and not less.

The width of dangling extrusion is 0.49-0.55mm according to how long it was in the hot zone. The filament should not be moist though because this house has a chronic dry air problem. The nozzle is supposed to be 0.4mm so if that is right then the filament must be expanding. Sigh…ABS issues, no doubt.

I have adjusted some things and I will be trying some smaller calibration print later.

Yep. That is a good amount of expansion upon extrusion. Typically I see .48 to .50. Could be The nozzle is worn as well. If your setting changes tell the slicer that your filament is larger than it really is I think you are headed in the fight direction.

By the way, in case you can not tell. The brighter areas are the top surface with light bouncing off of it from the side.

You might see the lines going side to side underneath this layer. That is the previous layer.

@NathanielStenzel huh? I thought those were microstep artifacts - you got some better shots? This looks like an illusion to me if that’s the case. The border of this thing definitely looks like overextrusion, so whatever lighting is going on here might be making it look like something else.

I have not seen microstepping artifacts yet.

Sigh…mega jam.

I was on my 2nd mega jam yesterday and I failed to get it cleared. Due to talking to Monoprice about the grounding issue and what seems like a defect in the bed, I get to send the printer in for inspection. I do not know how long the printer will be out. I need to get the labels printed somehow first.