Alone in the hackerspace late at night I managed to get the first print

Alone in the hackerspace late at night I managed to get the first print out of the Metric Cerberus. It’s a delta with spectra line to drive the carriages and FSRs under the bed for probing. Mostly built by @Mark_Hindess from his metric fork of @Steve_Graber 's design. Its printed parts were done on my trusty old i2.

Mark, M500 command seems to not be working, so I wrote the E steps/mm value on the bed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlz1dHsZSjo

Nice and fast! for your very first print its good to see it working well. I would say that it has too high extrude rate (which you already know since you mentioned E steps/mm and the first layer didn’t seem to stick very well which caused all subsequent layers to glob up. Once those two items are resolved I think you will be amazed at the improvement in print quality. Congrats! I’m a proud grandpa. :slight_smile:

@Bracken_Dawson , I never use M500; I edit the source, commit, push and upload so it is under (public) version control. There is an offset in the firmware for the offset from the probed Z level which might need adjusting since you are using tape rather than glue+glass.

@Steve_Graber Indeed, you should be proud. Brilliant design. The bearings and filament drive parts from you work perfectly. It was fun to build and a joy to watch printing too. This one will get lots of use in the @So_Make_It Makerspace in Southampton. Thank you! (The one I made for myself is running nicely too though I’ve not printed the giant Teethy Tiki that my kids wanted yet.)

@Steve_Graber one bit of feedback, there needs to be a spacer between the inner races of the 2 bearings in the little wheels on the carriages. At the moment there’s a thrust on them and they start to bind if you do the nut up to much more than loose.

Did they not come with little 3mm spacers? There is supposed to be a spacer between the bearings to take up the thrust. I’ve noticed that typically I tighten these down just snug and then back off a 16th of a turn for a good fit.

Steve, the ones I got from you may have spacers between but I can’t be sure as I didn’t take them apart. They just came complete on a cable tie. In the end, we put Belleville washers either side of the roller which seemed to help get the tension right and stop them binding.