All those into 3d printing and  (multiple) materials is the target of this question

All those into 3d printing and (multiple) materials is the target of this question , so I am re-sharing here ! :slight_smile:

Originally shared by CoffeeSCad

#coffeescad

Thinking about materials and 3d printing:
For the current “one stl per color/material” approach, would there be an interest in having the stl exporter in CoffeeScad optionally generate multiple stl files : one stl output per color ?

I think there is a specific “AMF” format, that has everything all in one file (slic3r supports it too) but I don’t know who controls the spec, if it’s truely open, etc.

I believe that’s exactly how it’s done though, one STL per color.

@ThantiK Apparently it is an open standard, at least according to wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_Manufacturing_File_Format

I remember us talking about that format a few month back actually :slight_smile: (it boiled down to “yuck, xml” :P)
I’ll add AMF support down the line, although I don’t know of any open source 3d printer supporting it (the multiple stl approach is used by reprappro for their multi color mendel)

Slic3r needs an AMF file to do multi-color. It can generate one from multiple STL files.

Adrian’s work on multi color printing was based on multiple STLS, one per material.