Air Assist Drag chain suggestions plrase

Interesting article. Coaxial laminar flow nozzle makes sense to me, not sure they sell a unit compatible with the K4o and I don’t have a 3d printer. Looking at purchasing one from Lightobject that is compatible with my K40.

Thanks for information!

Russa4920

Thanks Jack. Did you purchase these or fabricate on a 3d printer. Looking at one on Lightobject that is K40 compatible but has some lens issues so looking at other options. The short verses long lens depending on engrave or cut was helpful. Thanks for sharing .

Russa4920

This is generally only true when the cone is rather close to the work piece AND the outlet hole is not too large. I’ve seen way too many of those cones on things like K40’s which were over 25.4mm away from the work piece and the hole at the end was over 3mm wide.

This was why I made up the dual cone and tube air assist setup I still use on my K40 today. Just a little air flows into the cone to keep smoke out and most of the air is flowing out the little hole a the end of the tube which is much closer to the work piece. I’ve mentioned this to many laser enthusiasts and go shrugs until I showed them a video of cutting capabilities with proper air assist and little to no air assist. Then I saw Russ Sadler’s setup and it was the first time I saw a cone lens holder used properly.

2 Likes

Thanks Doug. If you don’t have a 3d printer, where can you purchase this dual cone nozzle?

Thanks

Russa4920

There are lots of 3D print service companies around which would print this for you and ship it for a reasonable price. Shapeways is an old one I recall of the top of my head. You might also consider this ReMix since I did have someone complain that they broke a lens when they tried to force the version I made onto their lens holder even though I mention removing any brim or material for a snug but firm fit. This one not only adds a clamping mechanism it also adds a barb for the air tube.

1 Like

These are C series tubes from Cloud Ray and others. The head is one of the designs from Sadler and the tubes and nozzles are available.

This is a good video on how to upgrade…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Thanks Doug

Russa4920

1 Like

Thanks Jack! Like Cloudray hardware!!

Russa4920

Amazon has them too.

1 Like

Yes…several look alike units on amazon like this that are very similar if not the same as Cloudray laser head. I bought the Cloudray as a trial.

Thanks for information!

Russa4920

2 Likes

I used this drag chain from Amazon for my K40. Fit perfectly, and allowed existing cables and an air assist hose inside. 10mm x 10mm inside dimensions, for $10 shipped.

1 Like

I bought the drag chain in the second photo of Russa4920 and received a notice that it would not fit in my K40 and that I would have to do some cutting. I went to the hobby shop and purchased some silicone fuel tubing that is quite flexible and keeps the drag chain from touching the top of the interior. I have a quick release on the outside of the K40 to attach to my airbrush compressor. Works great and there was no need to cut anything.

1 Like

Thanks for feedback. I ended up replacing my existing small width drag chain with a wider chain that allows you to open links to run cable and my silicone air line and make chains if required in future:
Uskey vision
39.3 inch Carrier Drag Chain Cable Wire R18 10x15mm (Inn H x W) Plastic Black Open Type for CNC Router Mill and 3D Printer,Wire Carrier Cable with 1 Pair Connectors,1pc Screwdriver,12 Screws

Very interesting…can you send me a photo?

Thanks !

Russa4920

Thanks for all feedback on my initial post on Drag chain usage and air assist line routing. Also the forums requested feedback on air assist nozzle selection. All feedback was very much appreciated and helped me make decisions to select final options. After some initial K40 testing today , I have placed an order for parts . Once I receive parts and install, I will share a note on my arrived upon K40 Air Assist installation. Until then no further feedback is needed. Thanks again. Very much appreciated!

Russa4920

2 Likes

For what it’s worth; here is what I did:

I used the drag chains as a guide and spent a packet of small cable ties securing the tube to them. Dead simple, I was rather pleased with myself.

As a side note, if you want to buy nice flexible silicone tubing in various sizes, small lengths and fast delivery: check out online brewing hobby supply stores.

1 Like

Thanks for feedback…actually tried this but felt it was adding some additional friction or drag to the head movement. So I’m replacing the drag chain with a wider /larger chain with open links which makes it very easy to route any air line plus my red diode guidance lines together. Using new silicone air lines. Also the air nozzle I have works but restricts the head movement in some cases so replacing it with a distributed nozzle from American Photonics. American Photonics also sells a reverse alignment diode that all screws directly into my stock K40 head . Not advocating or selling American Photonics but they have so great laser head upgrades for the K40! My next upgrade after this one is to change out my 1st , 2nd mirror assembly and head with Cloudray K series . American Photonics offers done optional focal length heads that fit into my Cloudray k series head and again with a reverse alignment system.

Russa4920

1 Like

When I heard about the american photonics reverse alignment system, my mind went to laser boresights and I thought about buying a laser boresight and whipping one up on my lathe.

Turns out the american photonics reverse laser alignment tool is a .45 ACP laser boresight in a piece of turned aluminum, exactly what I would have made. I rolled it on the ways of my lathe, projecting at a door about 20’ away, and didn’t notice any vertical wobble, so it seems pretty well aligned.

No worries, I had read your great solution but thought I’d make that post for others who follow or stumble over this thread.

Since my machine has the whole module plus a zxis to move, 220’ish grams, I guess I don’t worry too much about drag, inertia is my enemy.

1 Like

Thanks for feedback. I have been able to develop a good solution on my K40 just from seeing all other solutions on this forum!

Russa4920

1 Like