After lots of googling,

After lots of googling, I was finally able to flash my NodeMCU and run “Hello World” from Putty. yay!
Being new to NodeMCU and Ubuntu, I’m not always sure what I’m seeing in my terminal window. Looks like errors, but maybe not?
Anyhow, hopefully I can get JSON setup today and get connected via the NodeMCU workspace. Any pointers guys?

Hey, awesome. You might be the first user of that workspace other than me because you need the latest SPJS for it to work. Grab it at https://github.com/chilipeppr/serial-port-json-server/releases

Thanks John. Should be a piece of cake as I am using Json on a RPi to run my tinyG setup.

John, I’m getting an error. It says:
Error Opening Port. open
/dev/ttyUSB0: permission denied

You probably have some other app locking it. Close other apps locking the serial port.

I have no other apps running that I know of. I even rebooted to be sure and still no dice.

could it be a permissions issue?
ls -l /dev/ttyU*
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Feb 5 12:59 /dev/ttyUSB0

When I flashed the nodeMCU in Putty, i had to $sudo putty to finally get it to connect

Try running spjs as root then

Bingo I’m in. The root of the problem was I was not typing ./serial-port-json-server. I was entering the command without the ./ in front. So of course there was no way i would be able to run it, let alone sudo it. my first attempts were attempting to run json by clicking it from the desktop which obviously doesn’t work either. sigh.

I discovered what I was doing wrong when I went back to refresh my memory on what I did to get json setup on my RPi/tinyG setup.

Thanks John for helping me Talk/Think it through.

Want to do a Google hangout on air to show folks how this workspace works? It’s brand new and would be fun to chat about for folks to watch.

I would be up for that.