A wifi SD card that you can upload to.

A wifi SD card that you can upload to. Has anyone tried this with Marlin?
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/makerbot/Rst5ZIfs5L0

Is it not cheaper to add a pi or beagle board?

When you add the cost of power adapters, cabling, a regular SD card to run the Pi, usb wifi adapter, probably about equal. Depending on your workflow, this may be a more convenient way to operate, and as always, having the gcode available directly to the machine rather than streaming it over a UART should improve performance on models with a lot of short segments.

Not sure if I would use something like this. It’s been months since I had USB connented between my printer and computer, and I like that they are completely seperated. No matter what happens with the computer, the printer will just continue to print from sd. Having the sd ‘live’ all the time could open a hole to external interface.

Had the idea, didnt try it. Cost between that and a pi was the same and I had all the stuff to do it.

I use a TL-WR703N, costs < $20

@Qitian_Dasheng_Sun_W How does it work, any reliability issues? How ridiculously slow is it to transfer files to it?

Has anyone tried using an old smartphone with USB to the printer? UI, screen, flash, WiFi (even internet if you have service.) And the old ones are very reasonably priced. USB is the trick.

@Colin_Edwards is working on an android-based host that can use USB host mode. I think there’s another one that only works with serial over bluetooth.

These wifi sd cards are only one way. They can upload the files you write on there to the web. And that’s it! (For as far as i know)

@Mano_Biletsky_Open_M This one has undocumented features that allow you to upload as well.