A second chance for Kiri:Moto

A couple of years ago I gave Kiri:Moto a try. Somehow I did not fall in love with it. So I’ve used Fusion 360 for complex models and LaserWeb for 2.5D milling.

Last week I read a post from @mcdanlj about Kiri. So I’ve got curious again and gave Kiri a second chance. What I like about it by now:

• STL files can be imported
  • Tabs can easily be placed
  • A small set of milling operations is available (really straightforward)
  • You can also generate dogbones :upside_down_face:

And the best thing: Steward from https://forum.grid.space/ is very responsive and fixes bugs instantly. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yes, Stewart has made lots of improvements over the last 1.5 years and one big one was how much he simplified the UI and workflow.

4 Likes

The fact that Kiri:moto is open source also helps. On my computer, some improvements to lighting made it really slow down in ways Stewart couldn’t replicate on his computer. So I was able to run it locally and in just a few minutes pinpoint the changes, and a few minutes later Stewart made changes that fixed the slowdown. (In the following few days, he sped it up a lot more, too!)

Another thing about it being open source: I’ve reported several bugs that Stewart has fixed, and his code is pretty easy to read, so I’ve learned from reading the commits.

3 Likes