A question on ESP32 or ESP8266 boards.

A question on ESP32 or ESP8266 boards.

If someone were to make a daughter board for an ESP32 or ESP8266, what features would you like to see on it?

Would you like a ring of APA102 or other LED’s around it? Level shifters?

Just wondering.

Are you thinking something for quick tests, or something that would go into other projects?

@marmil Let’s say, something that would go into other projects.

https://plus.google.com/+JasonCoon1/posts/SFyjDiANsAa

:arrow_up:Something similar to this but for the ESP8266 would be nice, for cheaper projects that need a small footprint for controller. There are that many boards and pin configurations it would be hard to decide and stick with just one. Maybe use the D1 mini (on headers) with the level shifter underneath to make a really small footprint.

What I would like to see is a daughter board for an ESP32 (with level shifter) but also an extra 8 pin header for an ESP-01 so that you could send wireless commands to it over ESP-NOW protocol. Then you could use an additional nodeMCU or similar with lots of peripheral inputs / interrupts etc to send data to the motherboard through long range 2.4Ghz.

Either that or make the OCTOWS2811 equivalent for the ESP family. Break out some RJ45 connectors for easy connection.

Would also like to see an 18650 battery charge circuit for mobile projects. I have a waterproof wetsuit project that needs finishing but haven’t had the time to design a suitable battery holder - maybe even a buck converter on-board that will allow for 12v batteries. Would have to allow for at least 25-30w of power -(one problem I had with using a 5v RC battery on this project was that after 20 minutes or so the voltage dropped to a point where my teensy 3.2 board switched off but the LEDs remained on, just stuck on the last part of the program. The battery was still just under 50% capacity but not enough voltage to keep it going, which was annoying as I needed it to last for at least half an hour)

Maybe an on board sound processing unit capable of either FFT or simply a band pass filter to enable quick and easy audio projects to take the heavy lifting off the main controller.

Probably too many ideas to put into one project, but if there was a healthy mix of the above I wouldn’t mind either helping someone out with design or I would definitely make a purchase or 10 :slight_smile:

@Andrew_Tuline I think tht null pixel is very usefull. We can easy make it usefull (not only use as level booster). For example it may show some status.
More about null pixel here:

p.s. I think, that it would be nice, if FastLED library teached to setup null pixel. I mean, that NUM_LEDS would be as is now, but if we defined NULL_PIXEL_ON - library automatically will drive NUM_LEDS + 1 pixels. But this pixel don’t “touch” main pixels, [leds] array and calcs in main code procedures. Sorry for pore English.

@dalemorris164 regarding the D1 Mini, have you seen this one? :slight_smile: https://www.evilgeniuslabs.org/mini-wifi-led-controller
https://www.evilgeniuslabs.org/mini-wifi-led-controller

@BORAN_MUHENDISLIK it’s a level shifter shield for the ESP8266, so if there’s a library for jinx then it’d work. You can definitely drive a WS2812B matrix with it.