A new trend has arrived when it comes to our beloved PLA filaments:

A new trend has arrived when it comes to our beloved PLA filaments: Adding impact modifiers that promise to make it “about 12 times stronger than ordinary PLA”. Can it really pull that off?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdD5lAE7YAw

The only thing missing now is focus. Optical focus in the makro-shots :wink:

@Rene_Jurack but, but… I don’t want to close the aperture an let you see all the crap that’s so nicely blurred out :fearful:

for impact strength you’d use glass fiber as filler but that makes it more abrasive.

same for the more expensive carbon fibers

same for the more expensive carbon fibers

@Thomas_Sanladerer I am not talking about the blurr, more about the focus not being on the details but instead on your fingers :wink:

Most PLA has an impact modifier as standard, if not it’s usually brittle and can snap on the roll. But with this new trend of adding loads of Impact modifiers at a high percentage, when does the PLA name start to make less sense. I can’t get percentages out of anyone, but I’m now quite concerned we are being sold materials as one thing, but with a high percentage of unknown materials in them.

@Richard_Horne there’s a very noticeable difference in the way filament snaps when breaking. But it seems it makes almost no difference as to when a part will break.

I’ve listed some filaments as “PLA blends”, do you think the heavily loaded PLAs should be listed in the same way?

@Thomas_Sanladerer It’s my understanding that almost every single filament will now have some sort of impact modifier. I have not seen brittle filament for quite some years - the last one that caused me issues was when Colorfilla (BCN3D) was originally launched, they didn’t have impact modifiers (or not enough of them added) and the material would always break inside the bowden tube overnight. That has been changed and with the added modifiers it no longer happens.

So if you are trying to see if pure (non-modified) PLA for example is different, good luck getting hold of any without any modifiers added. I think they are all now classified as ‘blended’ to some degree.

But we are now seeing more companies add lots more mixed materials to filaments, and they don’t seem able or want to tell us what they are or what % is being added.

I have in the past asked Floreon about their magic, I even tested some of their original beta materials, but still I do not exactly know what is added, or in what quantity.

The new Polyalchemy material looks like it has a lot of modifiers added, but what types and at what level? I’ll try to find out more, but I think we are just seeing the start of mystery ‘blended materials’ becoming standard…

At least we get told what % is in a composite material (like brassfill), but again that may have a base material with added modifiers we don’t know about.

@Richard_Horne have your tried eumakers PLA filament ? The sample I got was really brittle.

@Richard_Horne Polyalchemy Elixir looks and feels exactly like all the other PLA+ materials, like Rigid.Ink PLA Plus, Innofil Pro1 and even this 3DPrima PLA - effectively, if they mention the impact modifier, it’s probably got a ton of it in there.