$1600 full 3D color printer they say? Do you want or need one?

$1600 full 3D color printer they say?

Do you want or need one?
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/xyzprintings-affordable-full-colour-3d-printer-the-da-vinci-color-mini-technical-specifications-and-pricing-138217/

The “3D Printing Professor” had several problems with the predecessor. XYZ’s idea of open hardware is to let you use someone else’s filament so check out their supply prices first. The colors look OK on their marketing photos (which might still be misleading) but holy cow is their ringing almost out of control.

Don’t trust it. it’s a scam.

it’s a pretty good approach… the real prints I’ve seen are kind of bland colors, but it seems like a good value proposition at $1600 versus a ZCorp machine or something

Is this another one of their printers DRM-locked to their own, massively overpriced ‘special’ filaments? Then: heck, no, as cool as full-color printing may be… way over my budget, device as well as material…

As someone who has been to their booth, seen their example prints – let me tell you, the colors are muted as hell and wear off over time easily. I’m glad they developed this, and it’s essentially an idea that I had a long time ago but without any time to sort out - but seeing this, I’m glad I didn’t as it would have not really been up to my expectations.

I don’t know if it’s because they’re using a semi-translucent white filament or what, but the quality isn’t what I expected.

For $1600, it’s a good deal though!

I was shocked when I looked up the price this morning cause I was expecting something like $5k’ish. But my next thought was they’d probably kill you on ink cartridge costs much like printer manufacturers do today…practically give you the printer just to make it up on the other end.

@ThantiK what I’ve seen from some beta reviewer comments is that if they combined the underlying color printing approach with a better hardware platform (ie less ringing) and did more R&D on color fidelity (ie mapping desired color vs output color to correct reproduction issues) then it could be a total game-changer. But they’re relying on the color gimmick to drive sales without fixing the overall product offering.

Is there any truth to the claim that XYZ patent-trolled Creality?