120V G8 mini-wedge to MR16 adapter

I designed a bulb adapter so I can use a bulb listed bellow instead of an MR16 G8/GU7.9 120V style bulb. I am considering if I want to try to sell the design or printed or molded versions of the adapter. I think it is only relevant if the person wants to cut down to less than the 20W that the lowest watt halogen bulb uses. There is no LED bulb in that form factor. Any opinions on if this venture is even worth it? It would certainly not be okay to print this in PLA. hahaha The bulb makes a little bit of heat. I am unsure of if plastic against the bulb will shorten the bulb life. ABS seems stable at that temperature. Opinions, please?

You can always put the adapter on etsy and see if you get an uptake?

I was thinking Ebay.

I made a listing. I am rather unsure of what the shipping would be though.

Says $11 shipping to get to me in Ohio. Not sure if that’s something you’ve put in manually though? eBay gives you the option to put in approximate package measurements and it will calculate shipping to each customer automatically.

I am sort of new to this and the post office and FedEx charge an arm and a leg for shipping. I ended up putting it it manually. If I get any better with this, maybe I can figure out better shipping options.

When the item sells you’ll have the option to purchase USPS postage through eBay (you get a cheaper rate), just print out the label, tape it on the box, then drop it off. You can opt to have eBay just subtract your shipping bill from the sale amount.

1 Like

I changed shipping options and told it a 4"x4"x4" box and 1 pound which is probably a ways high. It is not like I assembled a box or anything and weighed the whole thing. Does it show any better of a shipping rate? For the test address I put in, it did not really change it any.

1lb and up puts it into Priority shipping with USPS. The base price (discounted pricing) for USPS domestics package shipping is about $3.86 for 1-4oz, goes up a little at 5-9oz and 9-15.9oz.

If you are printing half sheet labels you will need a box that it 4"x6"xsomeheight to fit the label on the box.

1 Like

Went from $11 down to $9.75 for me.

1 Like

If you are going to sell online then it’s worth it to investing in a postage scale. You can get decent one on Amazon for about $10 and up.

I bought this one years ago because I do ship some larger packages and wanted the separate LCD display.

1 Like

NedMan, thanks much for the valuable insights. Is the shipping label really half a sheet of paper? Nothing that can be trimmed off?

1 Like

A half sheet is 5.5" x 8.5", the printed area of the labels are ~ 4" x 6". So I trim the sides down to fit the 4" width. Not sure how the USPS feels about having the printed area wrapped around the box if the top is less than 6" in length.

2 Likes

I buy these 6x4x3" as a 50 pack. (The link says 4x4x4 but there are multiple sizes in the listing)

2 Likes

Walmart is also good for boxes. I buy 6x6x6" and 12x8x10" directly from the store. You can also usually find good deals on shipping supplies from their online store. Like these 6x4x4" boxes I just found at ~ $0.36 per box from a third party vendor.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/100-6x4x4-Cardboard-Paper-Boxes-Mailing-Packing-Shipping-Box-Corrugated-Carton/497527895

2 Likes

The 6x6x6 boxes were out of stock, but I have a box a little more than 5x9x12 and it looks like it would be 9.8oz with some paper so I rounded up to 10oz and updated the price. That is a bit better. Hopefully, I can get ahold of some of the 6x6x6 boxes or 6x4x4 boxes. I guess I could just make my own too.

1 Like

:+1: It’s now gone from $10 down to $6.20 for me. That sounds pretty reasonable now, any further gains might be incremental.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like